I have been curious about using goat locks in a felting project so I ordered some from Sarafina Fiber Art. I was looking for a dog breed that could use this much fur and texture and a Briard was what I found, photo below-
I had never heard of this animal before, but he looked like a good candidate for my project.
I began with the wire armature. This time I wanted to try something different- I found that it was difficult to wrap the very ends of the feet and nose with wool fiber because the fiber wanted to just slip off the end, which left a bare wire showing. I added fiber to these areas as I built the armature, which worked to anchor the fiber at these points.
Then the wrapping started. When I worked the legs, arms and face I started with the furry ends, winding them upward, with the face, downward. I ran out of the grey variegated wool that most closely matched the locks I had so I continued with a lighter solid tone , in the end it didn’t matter because this base could really not be seen.
Finally ready to start felting the locks on. I’m trying to keep the shape of a dog while not having any bare spots so it’s just kind of a give-and-take little bit of trimming with scissors doesn’t hurt.
Here is the dog in progress with a pile of goat locks. It’s a little confusing finding what would work in an area, but it you are just patient and sort through it you will start to see the useable pieces. The photo below shows a closeup of the locks with a nice wavy section to use.
There’s definitely a learning curve, you just kind have to get the feel of what piece would go best where.
I’ve always thought that less is more, but I don’t know . . .maybe I went to far, anyway there is still a lot to learn-